Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Current Events 9/20/11

Fanged Frog 
By:Rachel Kaufman 
National Geographic News 
Published on August 16 2011 

For my current science events report I picked an article called "Fanged Frog" on National Geographic 
News. Fanged Frog is an article about the discovery of nine new species of frogs on Sulawesi, an island in Indonesia. According to scientists these are not actually fangs but are bony jaw protrusions. The purpose of the "fangs" are not known yet but scientists think that they might help the frogs catch fast-swimming prey in ponds, lakes, and rivers. 


I chose this article because I thought it was unique and interesting. It is unique that these frogs have fang like jaw protrusions. This article caught my attention because of the title "Fanged Frog". I think this is kind of related to what we are talking about in science which is animal adaptations and how they survive. For example, these frogs probably grew "fangs" to help it catch more prey. I know this news article is valid because it is from a trusted website, National Geographic.com. I decided to look further into this article so I went to a website called The American Naturalist. I found out that there was also fanged frogs found in the Philippines. The ones in Indonesia have higher diversity. Scientists think this is so because there are less frogs which means there is less competition.



1 comment:

  1. I really liked and enjoyed the article. In my opinion it was a really nice, different and weird article. Thanks for informing me that frogs had fangs.

    ReplyDelete