Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Current events 10/4/11

The Amazing Tail Behind Winter's Bionic Tail 
By Kavi Dolasia for DOGO News   

written on 10/03/11 

I read this article and I thought it was a very fascinating article. This article is about a dolphin named Winter. Winter is no ordinary dolphin, he lost his tail and now has a prosthetic one. On a winter morning a fisherman headed out to sea on the Florida coasts in the year 2005. He saw a buoy bobbing and decided to check it out. As he got closer he heard struggling noises and found a dolphin trapped in a net. He immediately took his knife and set the dolphin free. It had one problem though; the net had been tied hard around his tail and he had lost blood supply to his tail and could not move it. The fisherman called an organization called the Hubb-Sea World Research Institute. They had to amputate the tail of the dolphin. The dolphin tried to swim with a stump for a tail and started to swing it side to side. The institute was worried that this would hurt the dolphin's spine. They had almost lost all hope when a prosthetic company called and offered to give it a prosthetic tail. They decided to name him Winter because they found him on a winter morning.Up to this day Winter is the main attraction in an aquarium. Winter has inspired many people that lost their limbs as well. Winter has been in several movies for the past five years. 

I chose this article because I had heard about winter many times but never read an article about him. I think this article is reliable because it is by DOGO News which is one of the most popular sites for reliable articles. I felt very inspired by this article because it made me think and feel the pain of those who have lost limbs. It also makes me feel sorry for them. This is somewhat related to what we are talking about because we have recently been talking about living organisms. This is similar because we learned about the characteristics of life and this event is kind of like respond to change. Winter could not survive underwater if it was not for his prosthetic limb.  I still think that winter is very vulnerable because his prosthetic tail is more fragile and weak than his real tail. I myself have seen winter on a field trip since I lived in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment